Monday, February 26, 2007


Have a humble spirit. As a man, my ego can be hard to control sometimes. It’s probably one of the hardest areas in my life. Growing up playing sports all my life, my competitive, prideful spirit has always been there. I loooove sports; basketball, football, baseball, tennis, volleyball, softball, paintball, snowboarding, racing go carts, golf, swimming, all the way down to ping pong. Ha. Whenever I got together with some of my guy friends, sports was the one thing we always did. Everything is a competition to guys. You know why this is? It’s because every guy on this planet has an ego. Yes, some may be bigger than others but everybody has an ego. When we see another guy who is better then us we think, “I want to be better then him.” When we find out what we received on a test, we immediately ask everyone else what they got. When we take a road trip we gloat on how it only took us 18 hours compared to your 20. haha Our minds can be revolved around competition.
The thing is though; God doesn’t use prideful, egotistical man and women. God uses the humble in spirit. In my devotionals today, I read in Psalms 34 when God tells us in verse 18, “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. God uses those who are completely committed to him. He uses those who put their complete trust and obedience in Him. I mean look at David. He was a small, scrawny kid who was completely committed to God. He knew he was nothing without his Lord. Look at Daniel. What a young man with Integrity. He was completely focused on doing the right thing in the eyes of the God. There are so many examples in God’s Word of Him using the humble, willing, and even young. Always remember that if you humbly seek God face, he will stretch out his arms!! No matter how old you are. God Bless!

3 Comments:

Blogger Keri said...

Thanks for the post, Zack. Right now I am reading a book called, "Humility: True Greatness" by C.J. Mahaney. It is a great read so far--highly recommendable!

We enjoy reading about what God is doing in your life!

9:42 PM  
Blogger P. Mick said...

That's encouraging, Zack. You are spot-on about the universal dilemma of man's ego and pride. I am glad God showed you this and that you are humble enough to share the lesson with the rest of us (Don't let that go to your head!). I agree with Keri. Humility is a great read. I will have a copy for you when you get home if you don't have it already. I keep a good supply on hand to pass out to all my proud friends! Have a good one!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Ken & Jen Schmidt said...

Ok - we're a little slow - but we just found your blog! Sorry it took us so long...It's great to hear what God's doing in your life. Press On!

Ken & Jen

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home